Connect with us


Major Pep Guardiola and Manchester City Bayern Munich transfer decision vindicated after shock injury revelation



| Last Updated:


Manchester City and Pep Guardiola have been vindicated for a major summer transfer decision after suffering a huge injury blow ahead of crucial Premier League fixtures.

The treble-winners have suffered a huge setback in their hopes of retaining last season’s treble, as a thigh injury to first-choice goalkeeper Ederson forces a significant change at the Etihad Stadium ahead of key Premier League, Emirates FA Cup and UEFA Champions League fixtures.

The Brazilian shot-stopper is facing the prospect of spending up to four weeks on the sidelines, after sustaining a thigh problem during Sunday’s 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Anfield in the Premier League.

The 30-year-old conceded an early second-half penalty after colliding with Liverpool striker Darwin Nunez, suffering a leg injury in the process of taking out the Uruguayan international.

Alexis Mac Allister scored the penalty, cancelling out John Stones’ first-half goal at Anfield, following a cleverly worked Manchester City set-piece routine.

Ederson was replaced within minutes of the penalty being scored, as Stefan Ortega made his 24th appearance for the Sky Blues and sixth in the Premier League.

The German goalkeeper, who was also brought on after Ederson suffered an injury at St James’ Park against Newcastle United in January, could be set to feature in a showdown clash against Arsenal at the Etihad Stadium later this month.

The 31-year-old, who moved to Manchester City from Arminia Bielefeld on a free transfer in 2022, could also start Premier League games against Aston Villa and Crystal Palace, as well as next weekend’s FA Cup quarter-final and next month’s Champions League quarter-final first-leg.

Ortega made his debut for the club against Borussia Dortmund in October 2022 and was handed a full Premier League debut against West Ham United last May.

The German had been linked with a potential exit from the Etihad in the summer however, with Bayern Munich launching a last-gasp attempt to sign the goalkeeper.

Manchester City rebuffed interest from Bavaria, with Ortega having had an incredibly impressive maiden campaign in east Manchester, and playing an integral role in the Sky Blues’ treble success.

Guardiola and Manchester City’s decision to keep hold of the 31-year-old looks set to have been vindicated following Ederson’s injury blow, although Ortega’s future beyond the current campaign could be under scrutiny.

A number of European clubs, including RSC Anderlecht are reportedly interested in signing the 31-year-old, who has also been claimed to have recently stalled contract extension talks with City.